Pages

Tuesday 4 May 2010

Totally bitten off more than I can chew

I have an absurd amount of stuff to do this week, and I feel frighteningly scarily hugely slightly overwhelmed by it. I have to 

1. pack in all my revision for my final-year exams, both of which are next week. That means reading and re-reading about six books, watching a movie, and making detailed notes about all of them.

2. finish the first three chapters of TEA WITH DEATH, DESIRE AND RAGE if I want to stick to the target I've given myself.

3. write an article about ten movie adaptations that totally trample on the books they were adapted from. And right now, I can only think of one. One. To add insult to injury, writing this article was my idea and I said I'd get it done this week. Why? Why? And why can't I think of more than one movie adaption that veers wildly off the spirit of the book? Any ideas?

4. do my laundry. Which, in all fairness, is merrily spinning about the washing machine as we speak. So, that's pretty much done.

5. blog. Because I've promised myself I will try to write a post at least once a day. But if I seem a tad frenzied, a little panicked by the thought of two enormous exams looming ahead of me, and very, very boring, you'll know why.


I'm sending out a plea: movie adaptations that don't stay true to the spirit of the book? Suggestions? Please?


Also, the poll in the sidebar ends late Thursday evening, so if you haven't voted yet, please do!

6 comments:

  1. Dune, Alice's adventures in wonderland, League of extraordinary gentlemen (if you're counting comic books), the Watchmen, Stardust (Neil Gaiman!), The latest hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, treasure island...
    Just a couple off of the top of my head.
    Good luck plowing through your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, the newest Pride and Prejudice with Kiera Knightly. She is obnoxious and socially awkward in that movie, more like Lydia than Elizabeth.
    There is so much wrong with that adaption that I can't even talk about it. Seriously, I only watch that movie when I want to get really mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't panic!! I know you'll be fine and I'm sending good vibes along the way....
    I'm thinking:
    The Beach
    A Year In Provence
    Ghost World
    Fight Club
    Vix
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. i assume you have sherlock already? as in - i'll be shocked if that isn't #1!!

    its hard to remember which adaptations were rubbish and which were just wrong...

    what about lord of the rings? taking out the whole homecoming fight...grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yeah, Sherlock. Good call Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Each one of you is absolutely fabulous, thank you for all your help and wonderful ideas!

    I've stolen suggestions off each of you, and now have a list of 10! I can start writing the article soon and am determined to make my deadline. Yay!

    ReplyDelete