Pages

Friday 25 March 2011

New Title!!!!


Many of my regular readers will have heard me yammer on about my debut novel. For those of you who are new or who missed those posts, my YA debut will be published next year by Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins.

Obviously, this is the most exciting thing for me! But to add to that awesomeness is this - the novel now has an official title. When I first wrote it, it was called ECHOES. Then it was called WOVEN when my agent sent it out to editors. And now it has a brand new and super-shiny real title.

It's called A Torrent of Light.

But wait! It's not just a title. It's from a quote.

Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world.

-Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

I love that quote. It captures so much of the mood and essence of both novels. A TORRENT OF LIGHT revolves around the concept of stitching life from scratch, creating clone-like beings called echoes - and it was rereading Frankenstein at university that first sparked off the idea. So it's doubly special for me to have a title with part of that quote in it.

And as if all of this isn't enough, the book deal is now up on Publishers Marketplace too.

12 comments:

  1. I am SO excited for you. And your official title rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great title! I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW!!! CAN'T WAIT till it's out in the bookstores!!!

    Magnificently cool.

    T.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the new title, Sangu, I'm glad it still ties in with your book so well.
    - Sophia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I like it! Mind you, I liked both of the others too, so I don't know if that makes me the best judge. Were they discarded for any particular reason? I'm always interested in how book titles come about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the support and lovely comments, everyone!

    Alex: both ECHOES and WOVEN were ultimately changed because there were too many similar titles out there/titles with the words in them that set the wrong tone. I was very attached to them both, but I love the new one, so letting go has been easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never that crazy about 'Echoes' as a title but I liked 'Woven' - single word titles usually work quite well - and although I can understand why they would change it (and it's not a bad choice) I'm not sure it was necessary. The title is not everything - a good cover would have helped. We'll have to see what they come up with for this new title.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, far out Sangu! Congratulations. (LOVE the title.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. FABBBULOUS! Love the new title; love the concept; love IT! I can't wait to read it, Sangu!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love titles that are based on quotes and this is so perfect - what a neat quote from Frankenstein. The book sounds fascinating. SF? Love YA SF!

    I also like that the publisher whent from the typical YA title trend - one word like Echoes or Woven, to a longer title.

    ReplyDelete