Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2012

Elephants Remember

I've always had a pretty good memory. I'm forgetful, i.e. I can wander into the kitchen, get distracted, and then can't remember what I went in there for in the first place, but I have a good long-term memory. I remember important dates, I can sing whole musicals (badly, it's true, but I can sing them nevertheless), and I remember almost everything about every book I've read and loved.

See the problem?

I love rereading my favourite books. Unfortunately, I'm never surprised twice. I always know what's coming. I've mentioned my love of Sherlock Holmes before. I also love practically everything Agatha Christie ever wrote. Only, remembering the who kind of takes some of the joy from a whodunnit, doesn't it? There are a few exceptions to this: Daphne du Maurier's Frenchman's Creek, for example. I've read that about ten times in the last two years alone and I never find it any less beautiful.

So, my strategies: put up with it and just reread the book. Or hold off on rereading the book for at least five years. Sigh.

Anyone else have this problem? What do you do to be surprised again? And is there a particular book you can reread till the cows come home and you'll still love it as much as you did the first time?


PS. A big thank you to everyone who's signed up for my LOST GIRL Pub Day Splash so far! If you're interested and haven't yet signed up, you can do so here. I'm giving things away!

6 comments:

  1. I, too, remember books I've read fairly well. The ones I choose to re-read are generally the ones where I love the characters and want to hang out with them. Or a book that is so beautifully written that I want to immerse myself in it. So I never really have the problem of being less interested because I know the plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely read a book twice, probably for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If a book's well written I can read it again and again. Shantarram & God Of Small Things are both always at the side of my bed just in case my current read turns out to be rubbish. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Frenchman's Creek! It's fantastic. :)
    But yes, I have the exact same problem. I've kept myself from reading Harry Potter again for three years. *anxious sigh* When I read it again, there will all sorts of lovely surprises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't re-read books often, unless I really love the writing style or the characters. Those are the reasons why Kristin Cashore's and J.K. Rowling's books are some of my most frequent repeats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just signed up. I would love to blog about your book! I've never read Frenchman's Creek, but I may have to now. I did read Rebecca and liked it.

    ReplyDelete